CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Adjusting to change. Or not.

Deb talked about kindle earlier this week and since I've been contemplating all the changes we writers must adjust to.

I'm not sure I want to adjust to reading books on kindle (What replaces the feel of the paper, the sound of turning pages, or the smell of a new book?) or giving up my over-filled bookcases, but embracing new technology is the way of the future. Even my mother texts! Did you hear about the bestselling novel that a Japanese writer wrote by texting? I read (in my paper newspaper) that it was entertaining and popular.

And what about Twitter? Does anyone get the lure of Twitter?

Here's my twitter report for this morning: It's taking a while to get going here in Central Pennsylvania today. It snowed four inches overnight and it's very cold--about 10 degrees. I have a fire going in the wood stove and another in the fireplace. School was delayed two hours. As I sat in front of the fireplace, alternately watching flames and snow blowing off snow covered tree branches, I was so thankful that I don't have to go into work until 12:30 PM on Thursdays!

While I sat in front of the fire (wondering about who first discovered fire and the change that brought to life!) I took a few minutes to read Psalm 139. A writer crafted this beautiful poem more than 2000 years ago and it's still relevant and exciting and life changing today. WRiting that stands the text of time--that's the quality I want in my writing--whether I write on a slate, on a sheet of paper, or on a Twitter message board.

Stay warm and happy writing!

0 comments: